qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pcap-based networking?

From: Mike Tremoulet
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pcap-based networking?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:32:31 -0500

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:28:31 -0700, John R. Hogerhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> No. There's lots of code. Some documentation. But 95% of the code (and
> the documentation) doesn't have anything to do with networking. Just
> focus on the sections that matter to you. As you come up against
> problems, get your copy of K&R, ask someone on IRC, or if it's QEMU
> specific ask here on the list.

Cool.  That's what I suspected, but I wanted to ask to be sure.

> The pcap stuff is just a library/API. Any API takes some time to learn,
> but at least you have the source if the API documentation is
> problematic.

I've found some decent tutorials in the past for that, so I can should be set.

> Anyway half the reason for working with Free Software is that when I
> invest time to learn something, I can actually take that knowledge with
> me and apply it anywhere I go without worrying about violating someone's
> trade secrets or proprietary intellectual property. At the risk of being
> patronizing, my advice if you want to be a good FOSS programmer is never
> be afraid of learning anything. Don't plan to think about starting to do
> something... just jump in and get it done.

Learning is the fun part.  My concern is appearing to commit to a
project that, frankly, I don't know if I'll have the time to finish.
(And yes, this is my first contribution to FOSS.  Heck of a place to
start.)

-- Mike