qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] chroot to ARM Gentoo install.

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] chroot to ARM Gentoo install.
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:06:57 +0100

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 20:38, James Pellow wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for a truely awesome tool!  I have some custom ARM hardware that I
> have ported the linux kernel to, and for fun I want to install Gentoo on
> it. Since gentoo requires a fair piece of compiling (gasp...) and since my
> board only runs at 74MHz, I thought I would try chroot'ing into ARM gentoo
> using qemu on my Athlon system.  (Yes, I have tried distcc...  Its still
> slow.)  I have been able to set up binfmt_misc and a statically compiled
> qemu-arm to chroot into an arm busybox install (uClibc), but for some
> reason I get the following error when I try to chroot into a gentoo root
> (full glibc):

You might see if the this patch helps:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-08/msg00015.html

You don't mention what sort of ARM chip you are using. qemu only supports
armv4. It does not currently implement the armv4t or armv5 instruction sets.
I have patches implementing armv5te, but they still need testing.

Paul