qemu-devel

Subject: [Qemu-devel] Networking in v0.6.0, HostOS=WinXP, GuestOS=Linux

From: Garth Dahlstrom
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:08:29 -0400

Hi Jason,

I run Linux guests on Windows hosts (both XP and Win2K)...

My first suggestion is run 0.6.0 release from
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/,  I've been successful in running
networking with this version...  (It does have problems with
corrupting downloads and dropping connections prematurely though)

My second suggestion is to grab yourself an ISO of Damn Small Linux
live CD (DSL is at http://damnsmalllinux.org/) and use that to boot a
VM in QEMU...  since DSL is based on Knoppix, it will do autodetection
of your devices and configure you with a DHCP IP....

If DSL succeeds, then either the Linux you initally picked has a
problem (i.e. bad kernel drivers) or WinXP's Firewall / Virus scanner
is messing up connections or you messed the config up.  See below...

> Jason Brittain wrote:
> Here's what parts of it work from within Linux:
> - I can load the ne2k-pci kernel module.

For me, DSL actually loads 2 modules for networking ne2k and realtek
rtl8039 (or maybe it's 8029?)

> - I can configure eth0 (DHCP doesn't work, so I manually configure
>    it to 10.0.2.15).

With both modules loaded I can 'pump' that address 10.0.2.15.

Cheers,

-Garth
--
Northern.CA ===--