qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] network fails on windows

From: Matthias Jung
Subject: [Qemu-devel] network fails on windows
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:07:40 +0200

Hi,
i have found a bug: for long I was not able to use the network part of qemu, I
tried almost everything to get a guest Windows LAN access, nothing worked.
Neither tun nor user-net was working, no matter how hard i tried, and only
Windows seemed to have this problem, linux guests always performed fine.
-isa didnt help either.
I was just on the verge of giving up until i tried one last thing:
I switched the mac address parameter. Til then I had used the mac
a3:b2:23:54:7e:cf which is a valid mac and windows did detect the interface
without flaws, but no network access was possible.
With 00:ff:7f:fc:36:d2 it suddenly worked, I only can imagine a bug in the
ne2000 windows driver, or in windows (95,98,2000 tested) itself, not allowing
such a mac.
I had no mac collision at any time!

happy that its finally working,

Matthias Jung