qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features

From: Jocelyn Mayer
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features
Date: 09 Jul 2004 21:04:31 +0200

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 00:48, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> I forgot to propose:
>
> Select what CPU we want to emulate.
> For example under the x86 emulation, what if I want to run a system that
> does not work with the current emulated CPU (Pentium Pro) but does with an
> older one (for example a 486DX4).
> Also in PowerPC emulation, it should be interesting as the 601 has opcodes
> that no other 6xx/7xx PowerPC have (that are from POWER).

I agree with this.

I wonder if the best is to choose the CPU (ie 601/603/604/G3/G4 for
PPC...) or to choose a coherent hw entity (PowerMac G3, ...). I think
the first approach is good for ones who want to emulate exotic hardware
configurations but the second is more usable for end-users.

The good approach may be to be able to select all motherboard components
but have some predefined templates that describes well known
motherboards.

--
Jocelyn Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized