qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: RFC for new features

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: RFC for new features
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:46:47 +0200

Dear Fabrice,

First and foremost, thank you for this marvelmous piece of work !

Fabrice Bellard wrote:
Hi,

As porting the SDL version to other OSes than Linux seems to become an important issue, I plan to add the following features in the next days:

- Virtual console handled by SDL (Ctrl-Shift-F1 to get the guest screen, Ctrl-Shift-F2 to get the monitor shell, and maybe Ctrl-Shift-F3 for various logs).

I fail to see the point for use in a GUI. Maybe for "autonomous" screens (à la Linux virtual consoles) ?

- Support for more compressed and cow disk images formats so that filesystems without hole support can use cow disk images too.

Nice idea ! Maybe also support for raw devices (dedicating a full HD to a given guest OS might be quite justifiable in some setups...) ?

- New tool to create disk images, to compress them and to convert between any disk image formats.

Corrolary of the previous one.

- Config file support (syntax: qemu mypc.qmu)

This one is *the* most important ! enables easy use and configuration by non-technical users (hint : use an easily-parsed format, allowing for GUI frontends).

Comments ?

I have some further ideas, which need to grow up a bit before public exposure. Furthermore, I'm still at odds with some difficulties with the current version (CVS from end June), that I want to solve before asking for more ...

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier