qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Storing code caching

From: Martin Williams
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Storing code caching
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:57:22 +0100

Hmm,

My initial idea was that once code is loaded (as I understand it - please correct me if I am utterly wrong) is that when a program loads, the memory is uses starts at a certain location, and that all code inside the program is consistently located at a relative address from that location. (Could someone who really knows about this sort of thing please advise?!?)

My idea is to write a program that caches individual files code (rather than everything) - based around the idea that when a block is started executing, the cache would be accessed and address minus the base address (in other words the offset of the block) would be used to find it within the cache (some algorithm is needed for an efficient method of storing and locating these blocks as they will not be the same size as the originals). The basic idea would then be that once qemu detects a self modifying piece of code, (by a write to a memory address), it would then black list the block in which the write happened (is this possible?).

The program I would write would basically use the qemu core to process an entire executable, creating the blocks that are executable on the host machine, and store them. Then start work on modifying qemu to recognise the existense of the cache file and use the blocks. Then deal with the self-modyfing code issue as above ...

Martin

PS - I'm a CS undergrad, but I'm game for it anyway :)