qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fedora Core 2 patch

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fedora Core 2 patch
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:55:10 +0600

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
I'm removing the patch for fedora.

The solution is simple. instead of just running qemu and sticking the parameters, you should do:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 qemu <and the qemu parameters>

Feel free to create an alias in your .bashrc or whatever you favorite shell is ;)

I tested it on Fedora Core 2 and in Rawhide - works perfectly OK.

Unfortunately, this solution is not acceptable for me. The problem is that it relies upon RedHat-specific glibc setup.

RedHat provides separate glibc libraries for TLS and (obsolete) non-TLS systems. The LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable selects between them and forces qemu to use the old library.

On my system (LFS CVS HEAD as of April 2004) there is just NO non-TLS version of glibc, so this "solution" doesn't work. The same applies to most of modern source-based distros (e.g. Gentoo).

Probably we have to insert into the ./configure script a test for the brokenness that forces us to use __libc_sigaction on older systems, and use __libc_sigaction ONLY if the regular sigaction is broken. Unfortunately, I can't do this myself because I don't know what exactly is broken and therefore I can't write the testcase.

Yes, this means that there will be no single portable binary distribution. But it is not worse than the current situation with non-working qemu binary.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov