qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2k-SP3

From: Bartosz Fabianowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2k-SP3
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:51:12 +0200

I currently don't have Windows installed so I can't try this myself. But a little bit of googling suggests that the log files you are seeing are database checkpoint files. It seems that Exchange uses this database format and comes with some utilities that allow you to peek into the files. However, Windows 2000 also uses them for Active Directory and seems to have some limited tools on board as well. The following article gives a bit of details:

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid7_gci803195,00.html

According to the article, you might want to try the NTDSUTIL utility and see what you can get. Microsoft also gives some information on how to use it:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distsys/part5/dsgappc.mspx

Either way, the hundreds of checkpoints indicate that something is going wrong with some database during installation.

By the way, is it just me or are the files actually empty (besides the header of course)? They compress so well because they are just full of zero bytes.

- Bartosz