qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Cow images

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Cow images
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:38:25 +0200

Dear all,

I am pretty lost with rather simple issues...

1) Cow file size limitation?
When trying to convert an existing bin file of approx. 6 Gb:

qemu-mkcow -f hd.bin hd.cow
hd.bin: File too large

What is the size limitation?

2) Creating large cow files

Does it mean that cow images need to be created from scratch?

Then, what is the difference with a raw image (both need to be saved with
Ctrl-S)? In particular, what is the difference in speed access?

Can cow files be used for large installations?

3) Can cow be used in conjunction with raw images?

If I create a small cow file, can it be used in conjunction with raw images.
What is the command line to start Qemu then.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel Pouré