qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu: darwine flavour or bellard flavour?; darwine-qemu

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu: darwine flavour or bellard flavour?; darwine-qemu-fast?; darwine-wine-ppc+darwine-qemu-x86?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:48:03 +0200

John Davidorff Pell wrote:
I was just thinking about this: It might be a good idea to CC all posts to this list to the main qemu list, so that a) we can get more feedback b) we can be more visible to other qemu maintainers b) fabrice sees that he should help out in the port to MacOSX (Which is likely the best way to get it running and happy). :-)

Also, those of you working on darwine-qemu seem to be focusing only on the system-emulation, not on the user-mode emulation (qemu-fast).

You mean qemu-i386 ?

Personally, I would *really* really *really* like user-mode emulation on MacOSX (but i'm not actually working on code, so I can't complain too much). I would think that it would make communication between darwine-wine and darwine-qemu easier if both were in the same space, instead of one thinking its on/is its own system.

User mode emulation with qemu-i386 is not interesting for the darwine project. You should concentrate in using libqemu in wine. Look at the example in qemu/tests/qruncom.c.

Lastly, I was thinking about how darwine is going to actually use x86 code from qemu in ppc code from wine. I think that making the user-mode emulation work might allow special hooks to be added into the darwine-qemu-fast so that the wine API can be called much like the syscalls are translated (or would be translated). Endianness is an issue, but if all is called from x86 code, can we trick it by just keeping it little-endian (or am I just being stupid)?

http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index#INTEGRATE-AN-X86-EMULATOR

You should add an automatic stub code generator which generates code to swap the arguments for all wine entry points.

Fabrice.