qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: WINE with QEMU on PPC

From: Mark Guertin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: WINE with QEMU on PPC
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:51:51 -0400

You probably have to specify the -L option when calling qemu to make sure it's pointed at the proper root for the x86 binaries.

In the past I setup a whole 'mini' distribution of x86 binaries into a folder on my drive (using quickpkg from my Gentoo x86 system for the needed components, and then untarring the pkgs into my x86 root folder). I had more up to date versions of gcc/glibc/wine and all related libraries installed at that time.

I also setup things to run 'automagically' using the BINFMT_MISC kernel option and registering both wine and qemu. I don't have the details any longer on exactly how I did this, but if this is the kind of functionality you are looking for I know it can work via this route with some patience and a lot of reading/experimenting. Basically it ended up for me having double-clickable win32 applications (that automatically launched qemu + wine behind the scenes using binfmt_misc). I actually played 3d pinball from the windows setup on my Quicksilver G4 733 running Gentoo PPC as a host. Although it was _very_ slow, it worked.

Given the progress that qemu has made since that point in time (I did this when Jon Nall first posted the gcc 3.x patches -- almost a year ago), I would honestly suggest not using wine, but using a 'real' windows installation in a disk image, as you will likely have much better success if you're trying to run windows binaries.

Hope this helps. Some info from this is referenced at : http://devblogs.org/article.php?story=20030824121559268

Mark