qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA BIOS source code

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA BIOS source code
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:43:34 +0200

Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
I am trying to get SVGA graphics modes to work under Windows 98. Currently, the only known way of accomplishing this is to install SDD 7 beta, which is a 21 day test version, along with some obscure VxD file. I'd prefer to fix the VBE support and be able to run SDD 6.53, which is free.
[...]

Today, someone sent me a patch to emulate a CLGD54xx VGA card in QEMU (currently ISA only card, but I asked the author to add PCI support). It may be a good solution for Win 9x as I won't have time to work on the planned Sis 6326 emulation in the near future.

Of course I agree that fixing the VGA BIOS is a good idea. A small question on that topic: with the SDD 7 ou 6, does Win 9x use a linear frame buffer ? I am asking that because the QEMU VGA emulation is currently much faster when a linear frame buffer is used.

Fabrice.