qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] networking

From: ich hier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] networking
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 01:10:10 +0200

Hi!

Something i did not understand until now (after playing for a while
with this nice piece of software :) ) is the usage of tun/tap devices.
As far as i understood, qemu (the running task) just allocates free
device-names (tunX) as needed and runs a script /etc/qemu-ifup (if
available) and thats it.
But is there any way, to tell qemu which exact (preconfigured)
devices to use? Or do i have to catch the allocated devicenames,
as qemu throws them at me (or my script :) ) and try to make
something useful with this names (such as bridging or routing)???
It would be very nice, if there is some way (like in user-mode-linux
for example) to tell qemu with arguments, how to map each emulated
network-device to a predefined tun device. This way someone could
configure various sets of tundevices with fixed names. Management
would be much easier.
Also bridging of devices would be much cleaner and other tools which
use tun/tap devices could be hardwired (even with names like "tunX"
:) )

THNX in advance for your answers. Maybe i just had tomatoes on my eyes.
(like we would say here in germany)

user05