qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Video Driver for Win NT-based systems

From: Filip Navara
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Video Driver for Win NT-based systems
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:51:24 +0200

Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:

Are there any driver that works with win9x? Can you port your (or write it from scratch)?
There isn't such driver and I don't plan to port the mine. The reason is that the Win 9x driver architecture is completely different from the NT one (well, except some driver kinds covered by the Windows Driver Model, but that's not the case of graphics drivers).

Will your driver work in Bochs?
Propably yes, but I haven't tried that yet.

Is it possible to create driver that emulates DirectX and OpenGL by sending the OpenGL commands to the host OpenGL libs. DirectX commands should probably be converted before into OpenGL.
I was just think about something like that. If there would be a QEMU support for receiving OpenGL commands using some easy protocol and passing them on the underlying host OpenGL implementation (should be possible with some SDL support), then it will not be hard to make an OpenGL driver for Win NT+ using it. Making a DirectX (here I refer to Direct3D mainly) driver would possible using such interface, but it would be major pain. It would be propably easier to use Wine DirectX implementation that converts the requests to OpenGL...

Maybe I'm just dreaming with opened eyes....

Regards,
Filip