qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Porting/running to GP32

From: Mark Watson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Porting/running to GP32
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 08:07:24 +0100

Hi,

I've recently discovered QEMU when looking for ways to run Civilization (DOS
version) on my GP32! For those who do not know the GP32, it is an ARM9 based
handheld gaming device that runs at 150MHz max on 16-bit bus. It has 8MB RAM
only. In terms of libraries it has newlib and the GP32 SDK only. I'd be
pleased if it could emulate a 2MB 386 PC running at 16MHz ish -> using the
System emulation. Do you think that will be possible?

Anyway I found QEMU and it looks great! I like the idea of dynamic compilation
using small C code ections. I'm trying to work out what I'll need to do in
order to get this working (and if it should be possible without too much
effort). Also to check no-one objects. Note that I plan to build using GCC
3.4 cross compiling to arm-elf target. BTW what kind of state is the ARM Host
CPU support? Anyone successfully run DOS programs?

I believe I will need to do at least the following:
i) Modify the sound emulation to talk directly to the GP32 sound hardware.
ii) Modify the video emulation to talk directly to the GP32 video hardware.
iii) Replace getopt with configuration file.
iv) Remove all (any?) Linux specific code sections.
iv) Modify build setup to only build x86 system emulation (with software mmu).

I 'm sure I have missed _lots_ out here since I haven't looked at the source
much yet. I'd be grateful for any hints/suggestions as to what else I will
need to do.

Thanks,

Mark