qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-fast segfaulting in BIOS code (?)

From: Bogdan Harjoc
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast segfaulting in BIOS code (?)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:47:42 +0300 (EEST)

Hello.

I've managed to make qemu-fast (the cvs version, fwiw) segfault every
time I'm running it, which would not be such a big deal, as I am NOT
using a modified-for-qemu kernel as required.

Except that the error happens in the code_gen_buffer space (according to
gdb) and I haven't (yet) looked at the dynamic translation sources too
close or even read the documentation enough to figure out where to start
looking for the error.

The one reason I'm posting this possible bug report is because qemu-fast
even segfaults when booting from a floppy with "E8" (jmp $) as the first
 byte (I've tried the image with qemu-softmmu and it successfully does
nothing). Shouldn't problems appear only when running linux kernel code ?

Two questions I'd be happy to read answers to are:
        - is this normal ? (eg, I'm doing something wrong)
        - (or) is qemu-fast not yet stable enough to get past the BIOS
                code ?

(running slackware 9.1 with kernel 2.6.5, and here's the gdb output)

(gdb) run -fda fdimg
Starting program: /.tmp/qemu-cvs/qemu/i386/qemu-fast -fda fdimg
Connected to host network interface: tun0
Serial port redirected to /dev/pts/111
1.44 MB 3"1/2 floppy disk (2 h 80 t 18 s) rw
No disk in drive
QEMU 0.5.4 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu)
0xa8db6bf4 in code_gen_buffer ()
(gdb)

Regards,