qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] it works !

From: vaise
Subject: [Qemu-devel] it works !
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:56:44 +0000

Here is a little trick to allow "already installed" partitions to boot.
(As I said, with only "dd if=/dev/hda of=file.img count=6M" and "qemu
file.img", bootloaders crash)

1- create and install the partition in "normal mode", ( on hda1 for example )
(do not do the same mistake as me, prepare a linux boot disk before !!!)
make a copy of hda1 under linux, skiping the first 63 blocks :
dd if=/dev/hda of=original.img count=6M skip=63

2- prepare the file "qemu_hd.img" with qemu .fdisk. format it, and install the
OS too. after the reboot, it should fail, complaining about a memory
allocation problem. Don't care, shut down.

3- use the option "seek" on the two files :
dd if=original.img of=qemu_hd.img seek=63
(qemu_hd.img must already have been created, as said before)

4- qemu -hda=qemu_hd.img -boot c
Youpi !

notice : harware detection does not work yet.
notice 2 : block size on mandrake 10 is 512, not 1024 !