qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast - a better howto?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast - a better howto?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:41:18 +0100

> What about a better howto about qemu-fast (how to set up, etc.)

I will update the documentation for the next release. My idea is to split it between user documentation and technical documentation.

I will also make a fix for the compilation of qemu-fast for the LDT problem.

The current state of qemu-fast in CVS is that it can only launch patched OSes, but at near native speeds (no precise benchmarks yet).

The specific "roadmap" for qemu-fast is:

- native floating point support (qemu-fast still uses full emulation for floating point, which is slow).

- faster self modifying code support (qemu-fast is slower than qemu on 16 bit code which heavily uses self modifying code).

- faster memory mapped device access (qemu-fast is slower than qemu for VGA emulation).

- huge memory support (qemu-fast can simulate up to 256 MB of RAM, but this limit will be increased to 4 GB, and then 64 GB).

Fabrice.