qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix results

From: Kyle Hayes
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix results
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:43:11 -0800

On Thursday 29 January 2004 06:32, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> address@hidden (Renzo Davoli) wrote:
> : I have had the very same problem: sometimes qemu freezes.
> : There is no apparent cause-effect relationship, qemu freezed at random
> : stages of the installation process any time the procedure was restarted.
> : I succeeded in installing the debian but after several attempts.
>
> How hard would it be to attach the processor to GDB? I suspect you would
> make things a lot easier for Fabrice if you showed him at least a
> backtrace. Or how about tracking down the bug yourself and send a patch?

How easy is it to use GDB?  It has been years since I looked at it.  I think I
can managed to make it do a backtrace.

Would I run QEMU from the command line via GDB?

        $ gdb qemu -hda hda.img -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d -m 128

??

Oh, right, I can't pass it args...  Ugh.  I find GDB to be one of the more
difficult tools to use unless you use it every hour of every day.  I do
almost exclusively Perl coding and have for years now.

Hmm, it looks like I need to build from source.  Here's my GDB attempt:

address@hidden $ gdb qemu
GNU gdb 5.3
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
(gdb)

No debugging symbols found so I guess it is a stripped executable.  Let me
check... yep.  Rats.

I decided to see if I could run it at all:

(gdb) set args -hda hda.img -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d -m 128
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/qemu -hda hda.img -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d
-m 128
warning: shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint
Connected to host network interface: tun0
Password:
Could not initialize SDL - exiting

Program exited with code 01.
(gdb)

The password check was from sudo for the ifconfig tap0 in the qemu-ifup
script.  However, it is barfing trying to load SDL.  That's odd.  Any clues
why that would happen?  What does the shared library handler warning mean?

I'll try to build from source and see if I can get farther than this.

Best,
Kyle