qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Interpreter for QEMU

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Interpreter for QEMU
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 02:17:59 +0300 (MSK)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> It would be interesting to find a way to generate both the dynamic
> translator and the interepreter from the same description. I see that
> you are using ML to generate the interpreter. This is an original choice!

It was a _natural_ choice for me... (Well after i got really tired of
fighting my _first_ choice - AWK (when iconvert was still a throwaway toy)
;)

> It is true that a solution must be found to accelerate the DOS programs,
> especially when soft mmu is not in use. [When soft mmu is in use, it is
> possible to examine exactly each write access to see if the translated
> code is modified with a byte granularity].

I have tried running some demos with softmmu, it provides no noticable
benefit over hard one. If not pagefaults then constant translation block
generation/recycling will take its toll (but this probably covers mostly
real-mode or before watcom came into fashion p-mode programs, not that
i havent seen quite ingenious SMC in DOS4G/W applications)

Sincerely,
malc

--
mailto:address@hidden