qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Roadmap for adding non-x86 system mode emulation suppor

From: Chad Page
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Roadmap for adding non-x86 system mode emulation support?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:06:39 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> Chad Page wrote:
> >     I'd still like to get a feel for what's needed to make that work -
> > I'm itching to get it working on my iBook, and would like to help.
>
> If you speak about emulating a PC on linux-ppc, I am working on it, so
> it will be available in the next release, at least in soft MMU mode.

        Excellent - thanks :)

> >     Also I'd like to precache libraries... just having glibc and
> > winelib preconverted would help startup times quite a bit.
>
> It can be difficult to do. There is still much room for improving the
> dynamic translator. I am thinking about adding a real code generator, at
> least for the PowerPC and ARM cases.

        Yeah - I was looking at some of the code translations and there
are some register (re)loads that could be removed from the intermediate
stream, and many operations could be done directly within the stored
register variables.  The combination of the two would probably be
helpful... the balance is making sure the translation dosen't become too
much more expensive.

        - Chad