qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vga.c

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vga.c
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:03:58 +0200

Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:

: It is currently fast enough to have a usable PC emulator. Many DOS games
: are usable. It should be faster than the bochs emulation but slightly
: slower than the dosemu one. This VGA emulation code is more accurate
: than either bochs or dosemu (all VGA modes, including non standard ones
: (i.e. the ones not supported by int $0x10) should work), but of course
: more testing is needed.

Sounds great.  Maybe you could show us deadly being some nice screenshots?

: There are some optimisations pending (VGA memory accesses could be
: faster, but I wanted first to have a simple code). The S3 specific code
: the SVGA emulation is not finished. It will be mainly used to launch X11
: or Windows in high resolution modes. I also have to modify the LGPL'ed
: vga bios to add S3 VESA support.

I saw that you trap all writings to the graphics memory.  Is this a
must, or can't you just store the data in a buffer and process it according
to the current mode when the display should be updated?

--
Johan Rydberg, Free Software Developer, Sweden
http://rtmk.sf.net | http://www.nongnu.org/guss/

Playing Tom McCrae - Line Of Fire