qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu static elf boot

From: Nicolas Ollinger
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu static elf boot
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:08:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I just tried qemu and I am really impressed by its speed!

By reading vl.c, more precisely the part that loads the bzImage, I
realized how messy the linux boot process is (please don't flame :-)).

Would it be possible to have a program in the spirit of vl which will
just run a standard static ELF binary, passing the command line parameters
to it. This would allow booting some other OS's kernel with more direct
boot process, like for example NetBSD.

A sample (gzipped) ELF kernel is available at the URL

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz

Regards,
Nicolas.