Re: [Qemu-block] Disconecting /dev/nbdX leaves stale partitions and devi

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] Disconecting /dev/nbdX leaves stale partitions and device
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 20:36:06 +0100

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 09:53:32PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
> I think performance is pretty good now, after I added efficient zeroing:
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/92901/
> This should be available in 4.2.6.

This is great, thanks.

> I also tested uploading to raw disk using qemu-nbd on my dev setup with
> LIO storage over 1G nic.
> For reference, blkdiscard --zeroout takes 38.5 seconds on this setup.
>
> imageio example upload to /dev/nbd0[1]: 40.3 seconds
> qemu-img convert to /dev/nbd0: 61.5 seconds
> qemu-img convert to nbd+unix socket with unordered writes (-W): 87.3 seconds
> qemu-img convert to nbd+unix socket: 96.1 seconds

Interesting.  Did you try nbdkit?  I'm getting much greater
performance than qemu-nbd on my laptop - in fact it's comparable to
local copying:

$ rm -f /var/tmp/sock
$ truncate -s 6442450944 output
$ nbdkit file file=output -U /var/tmp/sock -f

$ time bash -c '(qemu-img convert -p -n fedora-27.img nbd:unix:/var/tmp/sock;
sync)'
    (100.00/100%)

real    0m9.555s
user    0m0.143s
sys     0m0.578s

$ time bash -c '( cp fedora-27.img output2; sync )'

real   0m9.254s
user   0m0.005s
sys    0m0.846s

Maybe I'm making a mistake in my test somewhere?

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v