Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 16:01:12 -0300

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 07:44:40PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 03:29:28PM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> > On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 08:05:06AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> > > Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> writes:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Short history of a configuration format you might have encountered:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > How confident are we a single list of (key, value) is really all we're
> > > going to need?
> > >
> > > Even if we think it is, would it be possible to provide for a future
> > > extension to trees at next to no cost?
> >
> > I'm confident that a list of key,values is all we need for the
> > current problem.
>
> I'm not convinced. A disk image may work with Q35 or i440fx,  or
> work with any of virtio, ide or sata disk. So that already means
> values have to be arrays, not scalars. You could do that with a
> simple key,value list, but only by defining a mapping of arrays
> into a flattened form. eg do we allow repeated keys, or do we
> allow array indexes on keys.

No problem, we can support trees if it's necessary.

> > The point here is to allow users to simply copy an existing disk
> > image, and it will contain enough hints for a cloud stack to
> > choose reasonable defaults for machine-type and disk type
> > automatically.  Requiring the user to perform a separate step to
> > encapsulate the disk image in another file format defeats the
> > whole purpose of the proposal.
>
> It doesn't have to mean more work for the user - the application
> that is used to create the image can do that on their behalf.
> oVirt for example can import/export OVA files, containing OVF
> metadata. I could imagine virt-manager, and other tools adding
> export ability without much trouble if this was deemed a desirable
> thing. Bundling gives ability to have multiple disk images in one
> archive, which is something OVF does.

I have the impression that "the application that is used to
create the image" is a very large set.  It can be virt-manager,
virt-install, virt-manager, or even QEMU itself.

Today people can simply create a VM on virt-manager, or run QEMU
manually, and upload the qcow2 image directly from its original
location (they don't need to copy/export it).  Don't we want the
same procedure to keep working instead of requiring users to use
another tool?

--
Eduardo