Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] using "qemu-img convert -O qcow2" to conve

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] using "qemu-img convert -O qcow2" to convert qcow v1 to v2 creates a qcow v3 file?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:44:39 +0100

On 2017-11-14 21:38, John Snow wrote:

> On 11/14/2017 03:35 PM, Max Reitz wrote:

>>> Deprecation warning is good.
>>>
>>> In future versions you can shimmy it behind a
>>> --no-really-I-want-this-old-format option, I think we ought to support
>>> creating the images for as long as is technologically convenient.
>>
>> Well, at some point you can also demand from users to just dig out some
>> old version of qemu-img to convert their qcow v1 images to qcow2.  It's
>> not like they are going to miss out on anything.
>>

> As long is convenient. I won't throw a fit that it needs to be around
> forever, but as long as it's sufficiently guarded from use and isn't
> hard to keep around I'd prefer to do that.
>
> I suppose it's just a weak preference.

I agree that sufficiently guarding it (albeit our definitions on what is
sufficient may differ) serves all the purpose I need, that is, make
users aware of the fact that they are doing something for which I can
see no reason.

But on the other hand, I want those guards to make it dead code,
effectively.  And if something is dead code... There is no reason to
keep it around.

>> (If you deprecate emulated hardware, users may complain that they don't
>> get the newest qemu features/bugfixes/... while continuing to use that
>> hardware, so I can see that it's a tough decision whether to deprecate
>> that.  But it's not like you are going to lose any features or anything
>> if you convert your dusty images to qcow2.  On the contrary, we're
>> helping you to get more performance out of them.  Maybe qemu should just
>> silently convert qcow v1 images to qcow2 without asking the user, like
>> Apple did...)
>>
>> Max
>>

> "Like Apple did" seems sufficient justification to never do that, but
> maybe that's just my own opinion.

Sorry, forgot the emoticon. :-)

Yes, that was meant to be a joke.  Although adding a qemu-img amend for
amending qcow v1 to v2/v3 images is probably mostly an issue of creating
the right internal interface for cross-format amendments.

(Silently storing qcow v1 as v2/v3 images is actually something where
users could have a problem because maybe they have some tool that only
works on qcow v1 images; and then they can't use that together with an
auto-amending qemu...)

Max