Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed in qemu
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 19:03:56 +0200

Am 16.10.2015 um 18:53 hat Paul Durrant geschrieben:

> > or

> > > It most certainly would, but requiring users do it this way is likely to
> > > meet
> > some resistance I suspect.
> >
> > Why do you think so? Installing the PV drivers afterwards doesn't seem
> > easier than just providing them during the installation.
> >

> My experience of XenServer customers tells me that any form of manual
> intervention during guest install is likely to meet with resistance,
> unfortunately.

Do they consider the guest install complete before they manually
intervene for installing the PV drivers?

I'm no Windows expert, but I'm sure there is a way to automate
installation even when a driver disk is needed.

> > > We don't because unplug is supposed to ensure the emulated device is
> > > gone before the PV frontend is started
> >
> > The important part is the backend, but it seems that you open the second
> > instance of the image only when starting the PV frontend?
>
> I believe this is the case, yes.
>

> > As long as you don't enable the user to use most of qemu's functionality
> > like starting block jobs (which would keep the IDE instance around even
> > after unplugging the disk), it might actually be safe assuming that the
> > guest cooperates. Not sure what a malicious guest could do, though, as
> > nobody seems to check whether IDE is really unplugged before the second
> > instance is opened.
>
> The Windows drivers do check. After the unplug Windows is asked to
> re-enumerate the IDE buses and we make sure the disks we expect to be
> gone are really gone.

You can't use guest code to protect against malicious guests.

> > raw and qcow2 should be safe these days, but in
> > earlier times it would probably have been possible for the guest to
> > overwrite the image header and access arbitrary files on the host as
> > backing file. It might still be true for other image formats.

> > (one

> > > That's not sufficient though. The IDE device must not be enumerated by
> > > the OS and, in Windows at least, that enumeration occurs before the PV
> > > frontend has started up.
> >
> > The trick is that it's only a single device, so there is no second
> > device that must be prevented from being enumerated. You provide a
> > driver for this specific IDE controller, so Windows wouldn't even try
> > the generic IDE driver when your driver is available.
> >

> But the whole point is that we want Windows to use the generic IDE
> driver. If we had a driver in Windows from the outset then it would be
> pure PV and there'd be no problem :-)

And it would do that when your driver isn't available. This fallback is
the difference from a pure PV device. But as soon as your driver is
available, it will be preferred and the generic IDE driver won't be
used any more.

Kevin