Re: Problem of initialization of platform-ehci-usb in sbsa-ref

From: Yuquan Wang
Subject: Re: Problem of initialization of platform-ehci-usb in sbsa-ref
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 15:22:09 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

> On 2023-04-25 16:34:04, Peter Maydell replied:
>
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 at 13:33, 王宇泉 <wangyuquan1236@phytium.com.cn> wrote:
> > As a junior OS engineer, I met a problem of initialization of
> > platform-ehci-usb in sbsa-ref recently.
> >
> > The result of sbsa-acs(UEFI Shell application) on sbsa-ref shows that
> > "Peripheral: Num of USB controllers: 0".
> >
> > And I found that the platform-ehci-usb in qemu is a 32-bits DMA device
> > while our sbsa-ref machine does not own
> >
> > DRAM memory below 4G. It seems like a contradiction point.
>
> This definitely doesn't seem like an intentional thing.
> What specifically do you mean by "32-bits DMA device" ?
> Is our implementation of this device accidentally not
> handling addresses above 4GB? Or is the specification of
> the device itself limited to 4GB addresses? Or is this a
> guest driver problem?
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Hi,

Maybe the specific explanation is that qemu implements that:
In hw/usb/hcd-ehci.c:
void usb_ehci_init(EHCIState *s, DeviceState *dev)
{
"s->caps[0x08] = 0x80;"

According to EHCI spec version 1.0 Section 2.2.4,
the set of "0x80" on Host Controller Capability Parameters
Register means this(qemu) EHCI Host Controller does not have
64-bit Addressing Capability. So, I think above information
can prove that our implementation of this device can not
handle addresses above 4GB without the help of SMMU.

Thanks
Yuquan

信息安全声明:本邮件包含信息归发件人所在组织所有,发件人所在组织对该邮件拥有所有权利。请接收者注意保密,未经发件人书面许可,不得向任何第三方组织和个人透露本邮件所含信息。
Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely
property of the sender's organization.This mail communication is
confidential.Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are
not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.