[Qemu-arm] How to select specific qemu net 'nic' device

From: mbilal
Subject: [Qemu-arm] How to select specific qemu net 'nic' device
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:48:00 +0500

Hi,

I'm using qemu emulation for xilinx zcu102 platform, this board have four networking GEM0, GEM1, GEM2 and GEM3 devices.

To run network demo on this board *only* require GEM3 device to be configure while other GEM devices don't need to be configure, that's why u-boot and other RTOS only configure GEM3 device.

QEMU is enabling these GEM devices with networking '-net nic' option and QEMU consider first '-net nic' option for GEM0 and second '-net nic' option for GEM1 and so on. that's why if need to enable GEM3 network device we must need to give following full command line options

-net nic -net nic -net nic -net nic -net user, ...

In this way all four GEM devices would be enable but first three GEM0-GEM2 devices are un-configured and useless. In our case QEMU is being *crashed* due to trying to use these un-configured GEM devices to o send/receive GDB breakoint/interrupt cause. IIUC QEMU uses first device in the -nic loop
i.e

qemu-system-aarch64: hw/net/cadence_gem.c:921: gem_receive: Assertion `!first_desc' failed.

My question is that, is there a way in QEMU to only select/enable GEM3 device while other don't use in emulation ?

If there is no such option to select specific device then what do you thing, this shouldn't be in qemu?

Thanks,
-Bilal