Re: [Qemu-arm] [RFC v3] qapi: command category to stimulate high-level m

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [RFC v3] qapi: command category to stimulate high-level machine devices
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 12:12:21 +0200

On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 10:29:40AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 4 June 2018 at 10:20, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Many of these inputs/outputs can be tied to an external UI.  A degree of
> > timing precision is required so that the UI is responsive, although
> > cycle-accurate timing is not what I'd expect from QMP.
>
> Would we also be able to tie them to an internal UI, ie
> something that appears as another view in the GTK/etc
> UI frontends we have?

Should be doable too.  Basically a display device, which isn't a *real*
display but the UI.  Could show a rendering of the board, simliar to how
web emulation environments are doing it.  LED status could be rendered
directly to the board.  A virtual mouse could map mouse clicks to button
presses.

Doing more complex input that way (say a slider for the temperature
sensor) isn't going to work very well though ...

Sensor input in general is pretty much unsupported in qemu.

cheers,
  Gerd