pyatcron-devel-list

RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] New files in CVS

From: NICOLOVICI Xavier
Subject: RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] New files in CVS
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:57:19 +0200

Hi everyone,

And thanks for your remark Julien. In fact there is a mistake in my
scheduler.py code. Monthdays should not exist, it has to be weekday. I will
adapt the code ASAP.

Regarding the objectives we should follow, this is very simple.

What I'm currently trying to do is a complete abstract layer to the various job
scheduler systems (At, Cron,?). That way, the GUI will have to handle PyAtCron
objects to set, remove, change scheduled tasks. The role of the abstract layer
will be to convert PyAtCron Tasks and Schedules into Cron or At jobs.

When the code I'm currently writing will be in alpha stage, the way to load and
manage scheduled tasks will be done like this:
- Create an instance of the ScheduleList class
- The ScheduleList class can be accessed in "for ... in ..." loops
- Scheduler could be added or removed from the ScheduleList
- At the end, a ScheduleList can be saved, which makes the necessary changes to
the Cron and At system

Now, what needs to be done that I'm not currently working on:
- A Schedule has various time and date fields. All are arrays (yes, year entry
as weel ;-) and we should have a class that could convert those arrays in
Strings like "Today, at 5.00pm" or "Every Monday at 18:00"
- Link the actual GUI we have with the ScheduleList and Task class. Schedulist
could be simply linked with a "for ... in ..." loop at GUI initialization. For
Task class, we should first define child class (like CmdLineTask) and add some
Gtk+ code in them to display the necessary fields for configuration.
- Implement various PyAtCron tasks (CmdLineTask is the simplest, but we might
need an DownloadTask, BackupTask, ... Whatever could be usefull). We also miss
the module loading system for new task types (that kind of lovely thing that
let people add new type of tasks without changing the main PyAtCron code).

Ok, as you can see, there a lot of things to be done. Consider that the code
I've submitted is really not usable, as weel as the API of the different class
are not definitely frozen.

Have a good day,

Xavier

u.org] De la part de Julien Olivier
> Envoyé : mardi, 6. avril 2004 18:11
> À : address@hidden
> Objet : Re: [Pyatcron-devel-list] New files in CVS
>
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 15:58, NICOLOVICI Xavier wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Long time not seeing anything on this mailing list, huh? ;-)
> >
> > Ok, I've been very busy too during the past few weeks, but
> I had time to start writing some code. Everything has been
> uploaded into CVS.
> >
> > Mainly, there is 4 files: parser.py, scheduler.py,
> schedulelist.py and task.py.
> >
> > I didn't had time to write the according doc, neither
> finalizing the different classes those sources provides. This
> is mainly a draft of what could be done the backend part of
> the PyAtCron system (this part which handles the job
> scheduler systems).
> >
> > I had some new ideas that I didn't shared on the mailing
> list, so read the source and get back to me for any questions.
>
> Hi Xavier. Glad to hear from you !
>
> To be honest, I had somewhat assumed that the project was
> dead since I didn't see any email on the mailing list since months.
>
> Anyway, I'd be get back to work.
>
> I've quickly looked at what you uploaded and I like it. I
> only have 2 little problems with scheduler.py.
>
> According to the diagram, the scheduler should have a
> weekdays array instead of a single weekday, and it should
> also have a monthdays array (in case you want to set the task
> to occur - for example - on the 23rd of each month).
>
> I attached a tiny patch to fix that.
>
> PS: It's been a long time without any work on the project.
> So, would you be very kind to let me know what the short-time
> objectives are for now ?
> What are you *not* going to implement and would like me to do ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> --
> Julien Olivier <address@hidden>

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient only. If an addressing or
a transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by
replying to the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.
We take reasonable precautions to ensure our e-mails are virus free. However,
we cannot accept responsibility for any virus transmitted by us and recommend
that you subject any incoming e-mail to your own virus checking procedures.