pspp-users

Re: Other Free SPSS Alternatives

From: ftr
Subject: Re: Other Free SPSS Alternatives
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:50:22 +0100

Hi Bob,

I really appreciate your work as I am not a programmer but a social scientist that uses stats to answer substantial questions. And I was just "surprised" when I asked a newbie question in the R forum some years ago. So SPSS for SPPS' sake, R for R's sake, is not my job. Therefore I bought your book, too.

There are two other free programs that merit attention:
ViSta : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViSta,_The_Visual_Statistics_system
Mondrian: http://www.theusrus.de/Mondrian/
Mondrian is a R GUI.

Tanagra: http://eric.univ-lyon2.fr/~ricco/tanagra/en/tanagra.html
TANAGRA is a free DATA MINING software for academic and research purposes. It proposes several data mining methods from exploratory data analysis, statistical learning, machine learning and databases area. The advantage of Tanagra ist that its programmer as a data mining teacher and as such he published a manuals for a large number of his sub-programmes.

As for commercial side I don't see anything on the horizon for Jasp and jamovi as they are both academic programmes.

Both have a real drawback: You can't create new variables from the results of the procedures. So you get rapid and good looking results from a PCA, for instance, but you can't save the dimensions. I asked for this but it does not seem on their radar. This makes these programmes less useful as it breaks the analysis and production process. They solved the first problem of an analysis cycle, data input , but not the last one, data output.

BTW, two other issues I would treat in a programme review is:
how easily treated are missing values ?
Missing values are a standard problem in real life, and already input with MV varies from programme to programme. Does the programme do more than list-wise or case-wise deletion, or does it already stall when missing values appear ?

Is the program useful for categorical data analysis ? Very often the statistical programmes are oriented towards the analysis of continuous data (in biomedical, physics, engineering, ...) , but in social, political or management sciences or in any survey analysis this is not at the centre. For instance, multiple correspondence analysis is quite seldom.

Regards,

ftr