pspp-users

Re: Confidence interval is mathematically equivalent to hypothesis test

From: Mark Hancock
Subject: Re: Confidence interval is mathematically equivalent to hypothesis test
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:56:56 -0400

This is a good point, yes. I'm not the original requester, but I think they were really asking for a simple way to get a CI when reporting summary/descriptive statistics (without having a second mean to compare to). In SPSS you can do this: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Using_SPSS_and_PASW/Confidence_Intervals

Maybe this is just my misunderstanding of AGGREGATE and PSPP syntax, but my point was just that there's nothing inherent about the question that should require a t-test - i.e., you can use z by default (and t-tests are really just extensions of z-scores anyway). z=1.96 works for 95% CIs, and Alan's suggestion does what I think the original requester was asking.

Pointing to t-tests isn't a bad idea either, though, and maybe providing syntax for how to reduce it to a z-score would help the original requester (though I don't think they have another mean or value to compare it to).