pspp-users

Mann-Whitney U test

From: Dr. Oliver Walter
Subject: Mann-Whitney U test
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 19:13:36 +0200

Dear Ms Rohlfs Dominguez,

you are right that the Mann-Whitney U test and other nonparametric tests for two independent samples are still not implemented in the GUI of PSPP although you, me and others have been asking for it for several years. But fortunately, the U test can be computed if you write the syntax

NPAR TESTS
/STATISTICS=DESCRIPTIVES
/MISSING=LISTWISE
/MANN-WHITNEY = x  BY y (1 2)

in a syntax window / file of PSPP.

x stands for your dependent variable.

y stands for your independent, grouping variable.

1, 2 stand for the codes of the two groups.

You have to replace x, y, 1 and 2 appropriately when you work with your data set.

Kind regards,

Dr. Oliver Walter