pspp-users

histogram oddities

From: ftr public
Subject: histogram oddities
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 11:57:37 +0200

Hi,

I want to graph a simple frequency distribution of ta variable called soctrust from a national sample. I compare the histogram from a FREQUENCIES command with a diagramme from a GRAPH command.

The variable can have integer values from 0 to 10.

FREQUENCIES
    /VARIABLES= soctrust
    /FORMAT=AVALUE TABLE
    /STATISTICS=NONE
    /HISTOGRAM=NORMAL.
Graph /histogram (Normal) = soctrust.

The resulting graphs are different, but both are deficient. This is the frequency distribution.

Valeur

Fréquence

0

115

1

36

2

164

3

243

4

226

5

482

6

236

7

256

8

114

9

27

10

17

The GRAPH procedure gives the annexed histogram dp-1.png.
The FREQUENCIES procedure gives the annexed histogram dp-1.png.

What is surprising is that the two procedures give different graphs, and that in both the data are not truthfully mirrored by the visualisation. There should be no empty space between two values.

Regards,
-ftr