pspp-users

About application distribution in GNU/Linux

From: Charles Johnson
Subject: About application distribution in GNU/Linux
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 19:16:18 +0000

Hi, I wanted to propose a topic that has been in debate for the -rushed- release of Snap, the new packages system by Canonical in Ubuntu 16.04.  https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/04/13/snaps-for-classic-ubuntu/

Moreover, Flatpak (aka xdg-app) is the distribution package system closer to becoming a standard in gnu/linux because of its performance and independently of the operating system for proper operation. http://flatpak.org/

Both systems are functional but are now awaiting complementary technologies such as Wayland/MIR, however, Flatpak is available in most distributions (Ubuntu included). There are several applications packaged as Flatpack and even some LibreOffice developers have long been testing this system to distribute its software https://whatofhow.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/libreoffice-flatpak/

I think it would be very good idea to consider PSPP developers distribute as a Flatpak package officially, as it would be available in most distributions with its latest updates. What do you think?

If a PSPP developer has read this what do you think about that?

CJT