pspp-users

Re: PSPP help

From: Claire de Koker
Subject: Re: PSPP help
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:53:31 +0200

OK thanks - apologies didn't see the additional email addresses. I'll retry the latest version and see how it goes.
Claire

On 23 February 2016 at 17:49, Alan Mead <address@hidden> wrote:
Claire,

You should reply to the list so that you avail yourself of the list's collective wisdom.

I would go ahead and use the latest version even though it has this scary message. IIRC, the reason that the scary message is not shown in the November 2015 version is just that they added it since then.

Unfortunately (I guess) there is no official PSPP for Windows. Official PSPP releases are as (uncompiled) software and the developers all use Linux (AFAIK) and even the windows version is (cross)compiled on Linux. So, what happens is that the bright guy (Harry Thijssen) who controls pspp.awardspace.com makes Windows versions of PSPP available periodically.  He always uses the latest version and so Windows users see both the latest features and bug fixes, but also sometimes new bugs (or new bugs that occur only in Windows).

I don't know if that scary message is conveying the right message. PSPP does have a set of automated regression tests... I don't know if they are run (Harry?) but those wouldn't necessarily catch all bugs and it is true that no human testing occurs before the new version is made available (unless Harry does some informal testing himself).  What would be ideal, in my opinion, would be if some Windows users took it upon themselves to vet each version as Harry creates it so that we had a process to remove this (true) message about "not tested" from a release.  So far, that effort has not congealed.

-Alan