pspp-users

dataset experiments (was: Re: DATASET behaviour)

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: dataset experiments (was: Re: DATASET behaviour)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 11:19:30 -0800

I spent some time today studying some of the details of the SPSS
"DATASET" commands.  I think that perhaps I misunderstood exactly how
they work.  I'm suggesting two experiments to help clarify my
understanding.

Experiment #1
-------------

Start up SPSS.  Then, before you define any variables or open any data
files, Run a DATASET NAME command, like this:

    DATASET NAME myfile.

Does SPSS accept this or give an error and, if it gives an error, what
is it?

Experiment #2
-------------

Start up SPSS.  Then, before you do anything else, run a syntax file
like this:

    GET 'file1.sav'.
    DATASET NAME file1.
    DATASET DISPLAY.
    GET 'file2.sav'.
    DATASET DISPLAY.

Any file1.sav and file2.sav will do; please replace these names with
names of different .sav files on your own system.

Thanks,

Ben.