pspp-users

RE: finding new developers

From: Charles Johnson
Subject: RE: finding new developers
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:55:43 +0000

________________________________
> Subject: Re: finding new developers
> From: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 06:43:22 +1000
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Or perhaps start a different paradigm for adding function to PSPP
> (still need developers but maybe fewer):
> The big advantage of SPSS in my eyes was and is ease of use so why not
> focus on the front-end role of PSPP and
> put developer time there and leave the backend processing to R-Project
> for the calculating side of the task.
> That is, develop a general hook from PSPP into R (?start with
> generating R batch files and then bring R output back into PSPP)
> and focus on PSPP commands to drive that hook?

See: http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/faq.html#Merge

I think you'd better ask for a user-friendly GUI to R developers, although
there are several.
In my experience, pspp works much faster than alternatives using large data,
which is an advantage. For that and other reasons I think pspp should be
further developed.  I agree that PSPPire must be on par with pspp, but the
advantage here is that pspp commands are easy to use by knowledgeable SPSS
largely unchanged.

> There is an approach to pivot tables in
> R http://www.rforexcelusers.com/make-pivottable-in-r/ which could
> perhaps be a starter for basic CTABLES back-end functionality?
>
> Regards
> Nigel

CJT