pspp-users

Re: CTABLES

From: Matthias Faeth
Subject: Re: CTABLES
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 12:22:10 +0100

I think we have to find somebody who has done that kind of project steering before (I haven't). Can everybody look into their contacts to find somebody who would have the skills and will to steer such a project?

However I'd volunteer to participate in the workgroup defining the priority of the functions of the CTABLES command. Maybe Frans and Alan would want to join?

I agree with John that a commercial implementation would produce 5 figured cost. I've already talked to a programmer on this and he came up with the same estimate. So doing it commercially seems to be no way forward.

Matthias Fäth
Im Mediapark 12
50670 Köln
t: 0221-2907973
m: 0171-9832175
e: address@hidden

Funding the implementation of a fully blown CTABLES at commercial rates,
I think would cost well into 5 figures.

However, it is perhaps possible, that a smaller subset of CTABLES could
be undertaken by an altruistic programmer who has some time on his
hands and wishes to earn a bit of money for a few months.

The problem, is (and this is where big companies have the advantage) most
programmers are not good administrators.  To crowdfund such an exercise
one would first have to agree on which subset of CTABLES to undertake.
That means, a detailed specification, with examples showing exactly what
would be expected, which features of CTABLES should be included, and perhaps
more importantly, which are not expected.  Once that has been agreed,
an estimate of the time and cost could be prepared an appeal for funds could begin.
This kind of organisation, takes skill and effort, and would probably
have no tangible reward, unless some percentage of the total was agreed
beforehand.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3