pspp-users

Re: Crash during save

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Crash during save
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 23:26:53 +0200

Hi Robert

[...]
Von: "Bob Gross - RFG Marketing"
Betreff: RE: Crash during save
Datum: 8. Juni 2015 16:50:29 MESZ
An: "'Friedrich Beckmann'"
Antwort an:

Hello Friedrich,

Interestingly, it I only type in no more than three cells at a time, PSPP does not crash. As mentioned earlier, there is no particular error message, Windows simply says the program is not responding.

I also checked to make sure my version of Windows 7, service pack 1 is completely up-to-date. As near as I can tell, it is.

Thanks for your help,

Robert Gross

There might be an issue that incompatible versions of PSPP are merged on your computer. This can happen if you install pspp versions on top of each other. Usually that is no problem but in the readme is stated for which versions you have to uninstall the old installation first.

Could you  uninstall PSPP, and if exist, remove the complete pspp directory in "c:\program files" AND "c:\program files (x86)".
Then install PSPP again.

It would be nice if you could report if this helps or not.

If it does not fix the problem, the developers need more info.  You can use a new feature I am just building.  (You can always go back by removing your complete PSPP directory and reinstalling it.)

If you want to give it a try. Do these steps (it looks a lot of work but is easy):
- download  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pspp4windows/files/2015-06-09-Do-not-use/DebugVersion/pspp-084-20150609-32bits-Setup.Debug/download (or a newer Debug version if it is available)
- rename the file from .debug to .exe
- run this program
- click on  your windows start button
- click on all programs
- click on PSPP
If this is the first time you run DebugPSPP you have to do the steps at the end of my mail too.
- click on DebugPSPP   you wil get a CommandPrompt (black) screen with a lot of text. No need to read/understand this.
- type  "run"  (without the ")  in the black screen
- PSPPire will start as usualy
- do the steps which provoked the crash
- type in the CommandPrompt screen "backtrace"
- make a screenshot of the CommandPrompt screen and post it.

The first time you use this you have to do this additional steps:
- unfortunately you have to finish the installation once with the steps displayed on your screen:
     To finish the debugger installation:
      - go to the folder where pspp is installed.
      - switch to the subfolder bin
      - right click with the mouse on gdb.zip
      - chose "Extract all"       You get a message stating "You will need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder"
      - Click "Continue"
      - remove "gdb" from the proposed path (the path will end on PSPP\bin now)
      - click on "Extract"
      .That is it.

Have fun