pspp-users

Re: Scatterplot y vs. x

From: ftr
Subject: Re: Scatterplot y vs. x
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:44:26 +0200

Hi,

I guess the Windows versions has not yet been posted ?
I looked at http://pspp.awardspace.com/ but saw no recent version, and the savannah page is for linux versions only.
- ftr

On 24/04/2015 08:09, Friedrich Beckmann wrote:
Hi Beat,

if fixed your problem as part of this patch

Thank you for reporting the problem.

Regards

Friedrich
Am 06.02.2015 um 10:53 schrieb Friedrich Beckmann <address@hidden>:

Hi,

looking at this example here:

i think that the implementation in pspp regarding which variable goes to which axis is correct in that
sense that is the same as in SPSS.

In my view the title should then be: „Variable name of data on y-axis“ vs. „Variable name of data on x-axis“ as
usually the dependent data is on the y axis. This would correspond to the description e.g. in Matlab.

So maybe I should change that.

Cheers

Friedrich

The title of the scatterplot says "Scatterplot y vs. x".  Now there is a debate about what y vs. x actually means. In my opinion it means that y is on the ordinate (vertical axis) and x on the abscissa (horizontal). But on the net there are opinions where "y vs. x"  means that x is on the ordinate. This is the present implementation in PSPP.

Note that the PSPP command to get x on the abscissa is "graph /scatterplot= x with y." The title of the scatterplot will be "Scatterplot x vs. y".

Any opinion on this?