pspp-users

Re: does the COUNT command count missing values ?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: does the COUNT command count missing values ?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:01:53 +0100

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:08:32PM +0100, ftr wrote:
     I ask this question as , to my surprise, here the COUNT command
     does count missing values.

     missing values v125 to v130 (-9).
     count missval = v125 to v130 (-9).
     results in 0 cases for missval.

     So I reset the missing to a valid code.
     Recode v125 to v130 (-9=9).
     count missval = v125 to v130 (9).
     results in about 66,000 cases without any missings (i.e. values
     of 9) and in 18,000 with at least one missing.

     This looks bizarre.

     Any ideas for these varying results ?

The manual says this:

   User-missing values of test variables are treated just like any other
values.  They are *not* treated as system-missing values.  User-missing
values that are criterion values or inside ranges of criterion values
are counted as any other values.  However (for numeric variables),
keyword `MISSING' may be used to refer to all system- and user-missing
values.

Are you finding that pspp is doing something different?

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3