pspp-users

Re: Sex histogram

From: Denis Bergeron
Subject: Re: Sex histogram
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:28:15 -0500

Maybe my translation is not good.
But what is the good word for a graphical representation of a string discrete uncontinius variable ?
A bar graph ?
Did PSPP do that ?

Le jeu 06 fév 2014 12:16:48 EST, John Darrington a écrit :
I don't understand how a "histogram for a string variable" has any meaning.

A histogram groups numbers into ranges - you can't "group strings into ranges",
because a string does not contain quantative information.

Slightly more formally, a histogram is an approximation to a probability
distribution.  Probability distributions only has a meaning for continuous
variables.  Strings are not continuous variables.

Perhaps you have misunderstood your class requirements (or perhaps the lecturer
is asking you a trick question to make sure you are alert!)

J'