pspp-users

Re: set /format

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: set /format
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:43:49 +0200

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:23:24PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     PSPP and SPSS both document that COMPUTE creates variables with format
     F8.2.

I'm not so sure.  An old SPSS manual that I have says

 "FORMAT Subcommand
  FORMAT specifies the default print and write formats for numeric variables.
This default format
  applies to numeric variables that are defined on DATA LIST in freefield
format and to all numeric
  variables that are created by transformation commands (unless a format is
explicitly specified)."

Later it says:
 "New numeric variables created with COMPUTE are assigned a dictionary format
of F8.2 and [...]
  The format of a numeric variable can be changed with the FORMATS command."

However PSPP using DATA LIST creates variables with F8.0 regardless of SET
FORMAT. It also doesn't
seem to have any effect on COMPUTE.

     SPSS documents that RECODE creates variables with the format specified
     on SET FORMAT.  PSPP doesn't document anything (we should fix that) and
     if it doesn't do what SPSS does then we should fix that too.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.