pspp-users

Re: "ERROR I/O" on a large database on version 0.7.9 Win7 binary

From: Gong, Henry
Subject: Re: "ERROR I/O" on a large database on version 0.7.9 Win7 binary
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:23:16 +0000

Hi,

I did as you suggested; here is my syntax.

GET DATA
 /TYPE=TXT
 /FILE="C:\path\to\infile.csv"
 /ARRANGEMENT=DELIMITED
 /IMPORTCASE=ALL
 /DELIMITERS=";"
 /VARIABLES=
<variables as in SPSSLoad_KID_2009_Core.SPS, adjusted for PSPP>.

SHOW N.
.6: error: SHOW: Syntax error at `N'.

FREQUENCIES ALL
 /FORMAT=NOTABLE.
<N Valid: 51475
   Missing: 0>

SAVE
 /OUTFILE="C:\path\to\outfile.SAV".

LIST
 /CASES=ALL
.9-11: error: LIST: Syntax error at 'ALL': expecting integer.

LIST.
C:\path\to\pspp.exe: writing to temporary file

EXIT.

For the actual data (or rather, the first 51475 lines of it) the SAV is openable in psppire.exe, and 51465 cases are visible. However, 10 cases have been truncated, since this file is 51475 lines. It would seem that 51465 is the maximum number of cases listable for some reason. The errors with 'ALL' and 'N' seem to support this. Meanwhile, FREQUENCIES finds N Valid to be 51464 in psppire and 51475 in pspp.

For the test file, I get the same responses for LIST /CASES=ALL, LIST., and for SHOW N., but for FREQUENCIES ALL /FORMAT=NOTABLE., I get N Valid: 60000. Additionally, psppire initially shows the first cases, but once the file is scrolled down, the entire spreadsheet (including those first cases) goes blank.

Thanks,
Henry