pspp-users

Re: Old mainframe save file

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Old mainframe save file
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 15:23:30 -0800

Chris Muller <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd be happy to send you the file. Will do so off-list. (Not familiar with
> pspp-dump-sav.)

Thanks.  I received it.

> p.s. the EBCDIC is a Swedish version, so standard American EBC/ASC tables can
> give illegal variable names, etc. Maybe that's the problem?

I haven't taken a look yet, but yes it seems possible.  Do you
know where I can find a conversion table between this version of
EBCDIC and some ISO or Unicode character set?  Or maybe you can
identify the particular character set name for this given at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets?  The latter would
be ideal.

Is this character set, for example, the following from that URL
(for which I do have a mapping table):

    Name: IBM278                                              [RFC1345,KXS2]
    MIBenum: 2034
    Source: IBM NLS RM Vol2 SE09-8002-01, March 1990
    Alias: CP278
    Alias: ebcdic-cp-fi
    Alias: ebcdic-cp-se
    Alias: csIBM278

> That was the case with some even older files that started with
> $FIL rather than $FL2. (That seemed to be the standard format
> prior to 1984 or so.) I took the easy way out and just mapped
> certain text codes to harmless values. The client was OK with
> that.

That's good to know, in case we cannot find a precise mapping
table.

Thanks,

Ben.
--