pspp-users

Re: select cases based on multiple attributes

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: select cases based on multiple attributes
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:05:20 +0000

Like you say, there isn't currently a dialog box for the select command.

However all commands can be run from the syntax editor just as they can in spss.
In your example, the following should work:

 select if  area = "A" and species = "goat" or area = "B" and species = "goat".

This assumes of course that area and species are both string variables.

(Note however, that pspp assigns equal precedence to the AND and OR operators,
 so they will be evaluated in a strictly left to right fashion.  This behaviour
 is exactly the same as spss, but quite unlike most other languages so you
 might want to add some parentheses to make your intentions explicit.)

J'