pspp-users

Problem with Data Fixed

From: Ronaldo Baltar
Subject: Problem with Data Fixed
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 00:14:13 -0300

Hi

I have a doubt. I'm using the PSPP under windows vista (psppire 0.7.7-g94ad1a) and I found a problem with a script originally prepared to SPSS. The Brazilian Ministry of Education (MEC) produces many files related to the Brazilian Educational Census. The public can download the Census data in a fixed format file (TXT). The download include a SPSS script to import the TXT data files.
The script works well when run with SPSS, but some errors appear when run with PSPP.

The original script sample:

GET DATA  /TYPE = TXT
/FILE = 'C:\Microdados_200906.TXT'
/FIXCASE = 1
/ARRANGEMENT = FIXED
/FIRSTCASE = 1
/IMPORTCASE = ALL
/VARIABLES =
/1
Estrato    0-8    A9
M_oh    9-16    F8
n_h    17-24    F8
M_hi    25-32    F8
n_hi    33-40    F8
Peso    41-52    COMMA12.8
Regiao    53-60    A8
UF    61-64    A4
V0001    65-72    F8.
EXECUTE.

I made the modifications bellow and the script worked well with PSPP:

GET DATA  /TYPE = TXT
/FILE = 'C:\Microdados_200906.TXT'
/FIXCASE = 1
/ARRANGEMENT = FIXED
/FIRSTCASE = 1
/IMPORTCASE = ALL
/VARIABLES =
/1
Estrato    0-8    A
M_oh    9-16    F
n_h    17-24    F
M_hi    25-32    F
n_hi    33-40    F
Peso    41-52    F
Regiao    53-60    A
UF    61-64    A
V0001    65-72    F.
EXECUTE.

I would like to know if PSPP doesn't interpret the variable format definition in the same way as SPSS (eg. A9 or F8). If  this format specification can not be used, how do I import a variable with decimal place and COMMA format (eg. COMMA12.8 or F8.2)?

Thank you

Ronaldo Baltar
Infosoc - Departamento de Ciências Sociais
Universidade Estadual de Londrina
Londrina - Paraná - Brasil